Tourist town, shopping fix.
The old town is certainly attractive. Traditionally famous for carpentry and its festivals, it well deserves its place on the tourist circuit.
You can sample the sake …
The Tanuki is especially fond of sake, he wouldn’t be seen without a bottle …
He has seven more important features
- a hat to protect against trouble or bad weather;
- big eyes to perceive the environment and help make good decisions;
- a big tail that provides steadiness and strength until success is achieved;
- an over-sized scrotum that symbolizes financial luck;
- a promissory note that represents trust or confidence;
- a big belly that symbolizes bold and calm decisiveness;
- and a friendly smile.
The flowers are optional. Prefer cats? Pop into an antique shop.
Or find some outdoor evidence of wood working skill.
The festivals are held in spring and autumn. They are splendid and very popular affairs involving street parades that feature massive carved antique floats. These are manoeuvred ponderously through the streets. These days great care is taken of the floats but it seems that in the good old days it was part of the fun to ram your rivals.